Welcome to The Remnant Newspaper
For fifty years we have been fighting in defence of the traditions of the Catholic Church and the proclamation of the Kingship of Christ. In print or online, The Remnant calls a spade a spade no matter who is using it to bury God. Subscribe to the Remnant Newspaper print edition today!
Latest from Remnant TV
Headline News Around the World
- Preview New Remnant Print Edition (FEATURED: 'Gay Church Comes Out', by Chris Ferrara) Posted on: Friday, July 21, 2017
- Notorious Abortionist to Speak at Catholic Church in Italy Posted on: Friday, July 21, 2017
- Cardinal Arinze to offer Solemn Pontifical Mass -- 23 July 2017, South Euclid, Ohio Posted on: Monday, July 17, 2017
- PRESS RELEASE: "Luther’s True Face" by Fr. Jean-Michel Gleize Posted on: Monday, July 17, 2017
Preview the latest Remnant Newspaper Print Edition
July 20, 2017
Editor's Note:This excellent article is a Remnant translation of "Défense du celibat sacerdotal" by the SSPX French District back in 2013 in its Lettre a nos freres pretres. It can be read in French here. Our translator has not asked for credit but would very much appreciate your prayers for his intentions. MJM
Priestly celibacy, which the Catholic Church has kept for centuries like a sacred jewel, has been, for a number of years, the object of doubts, challenges, and even virulent attacks. The consciences of Catholics are troubled, while aspirants to the priesthood and priests are perplexed. It is therefore necessary to examine this question in the light of the Gospel and of the authentic Tradition of the Church.
Objections against priestly celibacy
Pope Francis published a new apostolic letter on July 11th entitled , Greater Love Than This, On the Offering of Life. Currently there is no English translation of the letter. However, many news outlets have reported its contents. These reports state that Pope Francis has just added an unprecedented fourth route to becoming a Saint in the Catholic Church.
L’Osservatore Romano has published an article criticizing “dissent in the form of public criticism” of Pope Francis’s apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia.
Father Salvador Pié-Ninot, a theologian from Barcelona, analyzed such criticism in light of Donum Veritatis, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s 1990 instruction on the ecclesial vocation of the theologian.
Describing Amoris Laetitia as a non-definitive exercise of the ordinary Magisterium, Father Pié-Ninot quotes Donum Veritatis in stating that its teachings, even “if they are not guaranteed by the charism of infallibility, are not without divine assistance and call for the adherence of the faithful.”
After reviewing the section of Donum Veritatis devoted to “the problem of dissent” (nos. 32-41), Father Pié-Ninot wrote that “the confrontation between the Magisterium, in this case papal, and a theological interpretation that dissents, is not a simple conflict between two opinions.” READ MORE HERE.
- The Last Word: GOOGLE EYES WATCH YOU
- Nuns Transcending Religion in India
- “Sin is Bad” and Other Complicated Notions
- Followup to the African Crisis
- Trinity Lutheran, the Lemon Test, and the Future of Religious Liberty
- Sweden to Force Priests to Perform Same-sex Marriage
- The Benedict Option
- Cardinal Müller's Letter to Bishop Fellay
- Cardinal Pell and “Internalized Catholicphobia”
- The Strangeness of Stranger Things: How Netflix’s Retro Sci-Fi Show (Unwittingly) Teaches Us about the Culture of Death
- Breaking Ultra-Important Russia Probe News
- What is False Mercy? Posted on: Thursday, December 1, 2016
- Profiles in Resistance: An Irish Saint Rebukes the Pope Posted on: Friday, May 6, 2016